Tuesday, August 08, 2006
to be spiritual . . .
I was at the prayer chapel this morning - it is a place set aside for prayer and seeking God. Yet, I was not there to pray. I was there to clean. I pulled myself out of bed at 5:57am to volunteer a couple of hours vacuuming, dusting and sweeping before heading to work. When I arrived there were 4 men gathered in the main room to pray. I worked in a smaller room on the side trying to be as quiet as possible (but let's be honest, how quiet is a vacuum??!). As I was cleaning, I was thinking, 'who would people say is being more spiritual'? Was I being less spiritual because I was 'only cleaning'? Was I Martha and they were Mary? Were they more spiritual because they were praying? I kept thinking about the verses that say, like I Cor 10:31, therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (NKJ) or things like the first three kings of Israel taught us - that obedience is better than sacrifice (Saul to Solomon), but obedience from intimacy is God's highest (Solomon to David). So who would God say was being more "spiritual". And that is where I stopped. Because I knew that God does not judge based only upon outward action. He sees the heart. So, where was my heart? I could not tell you where the hearts the men were, but I knew my heart. And, to be honest, I was not working 'as unto the Lord' most of this morning. . . it was another good reminder that being 'spiritual' is not about doing what man calls spiritual things, but it is about our heart, our motives and about dwelling in the presence of the Almighty God. So, who was more spiritual that morning? I have no idea. But as for me and my heart, we will praise the Lord.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey, I love the little slide.com display above. It's really cool. Glad to hear things are well. Would love to talk when you are back in MN. God bless.
Post a Comment